SPRING 2014 OPEN BURNING WINDOW STARTING
The 2014 Spring Open Burning Window within the Klamath County Air Quality Zone will start on Friday, April 4, 2014 at 8:00 a.m. and will end at 5:00 pm Saturday April 19, 2014.
The Klamath County Environmental Health conditions of the Spring 2014 Open Burning Window are:
- Only residential yard waste, such as tree limbs, brush, and leaves may be burned.
- Burning of commercial, construction, demolition or industrial waste or debris requires a special permit from the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality. Contact Bonnie Hough at the DEQ office in Bend at (541) 633-2016 for the permit.
- For Agricultural burning inside the Air Quality Zone a Variance must be obtained in person from the Klamath County Environmental Health Department at 403 Pine St before the burn permit is needed.
- The Air Quality Advisory must be “GREEN”. The advisory is available by calling (541)882-BURN (2876).
- No plastic, rubber, tar, petroleum products, treated or painted wood may be burned.
- The use of Burn Barrels is prohibited. Only burn piles may be used
- All burning must occur after 8:00 am and be fully extinguished by 5:00 pm.
- A responsible adult must be present at the fire from the first flame until the fire is extinguished
The Klamath County Fire District # 1 conditions of the Open Burn Window are:
- The burn pile shall be no larger than 6 feet in diameter and 4 feet high.
- There must be a six-foot clear area surrounding the base of the pile and the pile must be at least 20 feet from combustible fences and buildings.
- There must be a pressurized water hose at the fire site at all times.
- The wind must be between 4 and 10 miles per hour (a light breeze). Wind speed information may be obtained at (541)883-8127.
- The person conducting any burning is responsible for damage and the cost of an out of control burn as well as traffic problems and other hazards caused by the smoke.
The Open Burning Window may be cancelled at any time due to Air Quality or Fire Hazard conditions; if so, this will be publically announced.
Klamath County Fire District #1 (541) 885-2056 Klamath County Fire District #4 (541) 884-1670
Klamath County Environmental Health (541) 883-1122 City of Klamath Falls (541) 883-5358
Klamath County Air Quality Specialist
© Klamath County Fire District No. 1